I complete a painting every day. I’ve been doing this practice for about eight years, on and off. I absolutely love it. It’s so much fun!
I’ve always completed the painting, choosing a random photo, and then sold it. I was getting frustrated because I was having trouble finding good photos that I could use without getting into legal trouble. I’m not really into photography all that much, so I’ve been in a perpetual lack of reference photos to work with.
And so… a plan emerged: allow people to decide what THEY want me to paint. YOU take the picture, YOU send it to me and I paint it. It can be anything at all, a portrait, a farmhouse, your pet, etc.
Here’s how it will work:
- You must first be a subscriber to my newsletter. Just sign up here.
- I send out a newsletter every morning at 9am. In it will be the daily painting from the day before (and perhaps some news and updates). The newsletter will always have a painting, and this painting will always have a title. Open the newsletter to find out the title of that day’s featured artwork.
- Respond to the newsletter by sending me an email as quickly as you possibly can. My email will always be included in the newsletter. In the email subject line, put the title of that day’s featured art. It doesn’t matter what you put in the actual body of the email. You must also have attached the photo that you would like to have painted in that original email. It’s probably a good idea to have the photo all picked out beforehand.
- The first person to respond to my newsletter with this email will have their photo made into an original oil painting! Don’t worry, I do this every day, so you’ll have plenty of chances.
- I’ll complete the painting and it will be up for sale (with the person who sent the photo having the opportunity to buy it before anyone else) as soon as it is dry. If you sent in a photo but for any reason you don’t want to buy the painting, you are under no obligation to do so. Just be aware that the painting will be up for sale to the public and I will have prints and products made from the art. Be aware of that before sending any photo. When the painting is done, I own the rights to sell it and reproduce it.
Some other things to know:
If you send a photo and choose to buy the painting, you will buy it either from my shopify store, or from my website. The price for the painting is the same on my site as it is on shopify, but if you purchase the painting from my website, you will get free shipping! Shipping is usually $15.00 so that’s quite a deal.
All paintings are always 11X14″, always in oil, and always on canvas board, which means they will need to be framed before they are hanged. This is a standard size and it’s very easy to find a frame. You could buy this size frame for around $25.
All paintings are $50 for now (which is an absolutely AMAZING deal for a custom oil painting, check around). I reserve the right to raise prices as needed. Cost of paint and other materials dictate this.
I love my freedom. I may ask you what your favorite color is, or if you like fairies or mermaids, but I need to have creative freedom. The painting will be in my style. I like to add my own flair, so it won’t look exactly like the photo. This is why I’m okay with it if you don’t want to buy it.
ALL paintings have special “speed painting” videos made. These videos are all on my youtube channel. Go check out some examples. It’s a fun little extra that you can show off to your friends. If you want me to give you a shout out, or link to your website or blog on the video of your painting, on my blog or other social media channel, I will be happy to do so.
ALL paintings are featured on my blog as well as on all of my social media channels.
AND – coolest thing ever… I upload my paintings onto deviant art, fine art America and Society6. These are sites that offer products such as phone cases, beach towels, wall clocks, tote bags etc. So, not only can you get an painting of your photograph, but you can also get really cool personalized products with the painting of your photo on them too!