You don’t need to be a professional photographer to have your photo made into a great fantasy painting. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before sending me a photo. Here’s a checklist for choosing the best photo for your painting.
Your photo should be:
- At least 300dpi
- Clear and sharp. Blurry, out of focus images are hard to paint and won’t look as good as sharp, focused images.
- Your own. If the painting was professionally taken, you’ve obtained permission from the photographer for it to be painted and shared online. If the photographer wants credit for the photo, I will do so.
- Well lit. Please don’t send dark photos.
- Highlighted and shadowed. If you’re photo is washed out, the painting will be washed out.
- Of your face and your torso. This makes it easier to attach a mermaid tail or fairy wings.
- In the same EXACT light if it includes two or more people. It will look MUCH better if the people that will be in the painting are in the same photo or if the photos being used are on the same day, at the same time, in the same place. This is a lighting issue.
The following photos are NOT MINE. They are examples only and you can click on the image to find the credit.
Examples of bad photos:
Too close. Although, if it is in the same lighting (taken at the same time in the same place) a close up of the face is helpful.
Trying to put multiple photos with different lighting into the same painting:
Examples of great photos:
High resolution. This would be a PERFECT image to paint, but I don’t expect that photos that you would take would be this professional looking.
Clear and sharp like on the right. You should be able to see the details:
Bright, well lit:
Great contrast. It’s obvious where the features of the face are.
Face and torso, or full body if the photo is very high resolution:
Group shot or people in same lighting:
To get updates, exclusive offers and to be the first to have access to new art , sign up for my newsletter.
I’d love to hear from you and I would love to meet and chat on social media. Please feel free to email me about anything: Rhiannon@gigglegoddessart.com
I always try my very, very best to follow back on all social media. Come share some love with me on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube.
If you’re interested in purchasing my original art, or prints or art products, you can do so on my DeviantArt, ArtFire and society6.